Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Hi-De-Ho Cherrio


I am happy to say that I just finished the next 2015 Aurifil Designer Mystery BOM hosted by Pat Sloan and Aurifil thread.  This month's feature designers was Barb Groves and Mary Jacobson from Me and My Sister Designs.  You can read Pat's interview with them here and also pick up a copy of the free pattern for Hi-De-Ho Cherrio.  

As soon as I printed out my copy of the pattern, I couldn't help myself.  My pen just started drawing.  I didn't even know what fabrics I wanted to use, but I already had an idea of how I would quilt it. 



When I attacked my fabric stash, I found a great piece of fabric that almost looked like a lace print for the background.  And for whatever reason, the purples and greens where calling out to me.  It just had to be.


Soon the rotary cutter was going and the fabric was flying.  In no time at all, I had sections cut and blocks pieced together.


Whala--A finished quilt top.


Since I already had an idea of how I wanted to quilt it, I wasted no time marking the top with registration lines to carry out my plan.


Free quilting tip...wine glasses make great stencils :)



My original idea was to quilt feather wreaths in the octagon shaped blocks.  That is why I used my wine glass to mark circles on the blocks.  I practiced for several days trying to perfect them.  You can read about my attempts here.  In the end, I just didn't feel comfortable enough trying to put them on the actual quilt.  So I went back to the drawing board and pulled from quilting designs I felt comfortable with, good ol' loops and ribbon candy.

Then it was time to break into my Aurifil thread stash and choose the lucky spools.


I ended up using the purple, middle green and the neutral color for my quilting.  I could not have been happier with the results.  I even went with a scrappy binding to frame the quilt.



And how about one more for good measure.


Here are the other Aurifil minis so far for the year.



If you are looking for a fun quick project...possibly even for a craft swap please check these out.  One of my online quilty friends named Debby Brown (she even has a beginners free motion quilting class on Craftsy called Free-Motioin Qulting with Lines, Curves and Loops) turned her minis into cute quilted pillows.  You can check them out here.

                                                           


I am linking up today with Let's Bee Social @ Sew Fresh Quilts.






11 comments:

Gina said...

It's turned out really well. I love the quilting you settled on. I draw all over my quilt diagrams aswell to get an idea on how to quilt things. Sometimes they just tell you how they want to be quilted

Gina said...

It's turned out really well. I love the quilting you settled on. I draw all over my quilt diagrams aswell to get an idea on how to quilt things. Sometimes they just tell you how they want to be quilted

Stitchin At Home said...

I love the quilting on this, it is gorgeous.

Daytona Damsel said...

I like this quilt a lot. Great pattern to focus on the quilting.
Debbie

Jayne said...

Beautiful quilting! This is such a great pattern! Well done!

That Crafty Cara said...

That is some inspiring quilting! I love it so much, good job, you!

M-R Charbonneau said...

Your fantastic quilting takes your quilt to a whole new level. Well done! So glad you linked up to TGIFF! Tish!

Mary Marcotte said...

Your quilting is impressive! I have never pre-planned my quilting, but I think now I'll have to at least try after seeing your success.

a maidenhair fern said...

Absolutely love the fmqing!

Izzy said...

Beautiful job on the quilting! Great finish! Popping over from TGIFF.

Sandra Walker said...

Your quilting is just gorgeous Tish. GOR-geous. How big was this mini? I see 26 1/2" centre...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...