Monday, August 31, 2015

Grown Up--A Finish


Well, it feels 100% good to be able to state that I finished the Aurifil August 2015 designer of the month mini quilt.  However, this finish did not come without a childish internal tantrum.  This month's designer was Nancy Rink and she introduced to us her block called Grown Up.  You can read Pat Sloan's interview and down load the pattern here.

So what exactly was my tantrum about?  I knew it was bound to happen at some point in the year.  Applique.  Don't get me wrong, I love quilts with applique on them.  It's just a technique I haven't had much luck with.  So for a few days my thoughts were, fine I am just not going to do this one.  I'll just have eleven finished minis, no biggie.  But really that thought bothered me.  My goal from the beginning was to make each one and finish it before the next one came out.

Pat Sloan's blog provided me with a perfect compromise.  I made a smaller version with only one appliqued flower.  I was willing to give that a try.  So to the drawing board I went.


Since it was going to be so small and the family reunion was in a few days, the plan was to actually make two.  I was going to use the 30's reprints on the left to make one for me and the fabrics on the right to make one to take to the reunion.

The first step was create the three basket blocks.  I had to move a bit slower in constructing the blocks to make sure that everything lined up like it should.


Next came the applique.  I almost committed the same dreadful sin I always commit when working with machine applique.  I purchased the fusible to iron it onto the block, but I forgot the stabilizer.  At least I caught my mistake and was able to run to the store and pick some up.

Taking things slow and steady I sewed around my pieces using a blanket stitch on my machine.


Since I was in a hurry to get this little thing finished I decided to quilt something completely out of character for me.  Straight(ish) lines.  For thread color I chose an Aurifil light gray.  My thought was that it would be a neutral color and I knew that it would show on both the white and the black, but hoped it would look even, not all disapear-ry.  (disapear-ry I can make up words if I want to)


Sometimes I think Oliver is part ninja.  I swear he was no where around when I stopped to change my bobbin.  I look up and BAM he's sitting in the middle of the tiny quilt looking at me like I'm crazy.  Such a creeper.

Due to going back to school and much craziness at work, I was not able to get this one finished before the reunion.  The family auction would live without one of my pieces this year.


So I made the decision during the binding process to scrap the idea of making a second one.


So a little on my thread choices.  Of course I went with my trusty Aurifil brand of thread.  I used 1100 Pink to bind the quilt and in the flower applique, 2692 black and 2885 green for applique and 2605 medium gray for the quilting.  

Who knows, maybe I'll give applique another whack before the year is over.  I finally managed to score a point on the board in my favor.  

How about one more look at this little fellow.


If you would like to take a look at some of the Aurifil minis I have finished this year, please hop over to my 2015 Aurifil Mini Quilts page.

Also going on today...It is day one of the Fabri-Quilt New Block blog hop.


I hope if you get a chance you will pop over to my fellow bloggers' pages and check out the amazing blocks they have designed and the tutorials they have made for us.  Today's group is lead by Yvonne at Quilting Jetgirl.  Each day the hosts will be giving away prizes.






You can also look for the block I designed on Wednesday.


Today I'm linking up with












6 comments:

Bonnie said...

Your first attempt at appliqué came out wonderfully. FYI ( have been known to use notebook [the cheapest I have on hand or maybe even newsprint] to use as a stabilizer when machine appliquéing.) I particularly like your straight line stitching. Nice job.

Beth @ Cooking Up Quilts said...

I love your mini! I purchased a Craftsy class for applique but haven't taken it yet. I really would like to learn. I think your flower looks perfect and you did a great job!

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

What a beautiful little mini and the colors and fabrics you chose are so neat. Congrats on doing the applique, it looks wonderful and the way you quilted it is perfect!

Lara B. said...

Your Oliver cracks me up Tish!
Despite your troubles and worries over applique', the finished piece looks great!

Ramona said...

Your mini is adorable! I love the one flower on your quilt. The colors just pop, too! You did an awesome job on this.

Julie said...

I think when we first had the chance to talk we discussed your adventures in applique. I'm so glad to see you did it! I think you did a bang up job, and would encourage you to do another. Maybe you could encourage Oliver to look disappear-y while you're working, too? I think he is more a ham than a cat!

Thanks for linking your beauty up to the Pet Project Show, and letting us all in on your quilting escapades with Oliver.

Julie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...