Thursday, September 3, 2015

That Time It Rained Babies

This is a throwback to some baby quilts I made a few years ago.   Here is their story...

Once upon a time, I found myself swearing off water.  I was forced to drink only soda and wine, because there was something in the water and it was taking over my family at a very alarming rate.  Though I am an only child, from a father who was an only child, my mother's side more than made up for it.  Meet my grandparents, June and Bertha.

If these two had not found each other many moons ago, 41 people would not have been able to find their way to this world.  Forty-one, that's crazy!  That number is made up of 11 kids, 15 grandchildren and 15 great grandchildren.  When we have a family get together including spouses and step grandchildren, that is a total of 61 people.  

So what exactly does that have to do with the water?  Every few years it seems as though something unexplainable contaminates the drinking water...and BAM babies.  The first time it happened was about fifteen years ago and I when I drank some of this water.  Myself and two of my cousins found out we were expecting and within just months of each other.  Everyone was so excited.  This would be the first time we would have babies born so close together.  Today all three are in the same grade at the same school and are pretty good friends.

The next occurrence was in 2007 when two of my cousins (siblings) announced just days apart from each other that they were expecting.  Nine months later two beautiful little cousins a boy and a girl where born just days apart.  We were all floored they were born so close together.  Surely that is a rare thing.

Then the water epidemic of 2013 hit.  Four of my cousins announced pregnancies with due dates in the spring all within a 30 day period of each other.  That was it, only wine and soda for me!  As the first baby shower rolled around, someone asked what I was getting my cousin and his wife and I proudly responded that I would make a quilt.  Then it hit me, I needed to get on it because I have four quilts to make in less than four months.  I had never had a deadline before, let alone four.  I contacted everyone to find out what kind of themes they had for their nurseries and began shopping for fabric.  The little boys nurseries would be jungle and woodland animal themed and the two girls would both be owls.  

The end of March would bring us our first baby boy and for me the completion of this quilt. 
Jungle Path Baby Quilt


I began boy quilt #2 so that I could get it in the mail to his mommy before he arrived.



I worked on the two little girl quilts at the same time since I was using the same fabric for both. 


A few weeks after baby Sy made his appearance, two of my cousins went into labor at the same time!  Born on the same day but hours apart, little Everett and Alyssa would become birthday buddies.  Two days later, Natalie would join her cousins.

It's been almost three years since our baby explosion.  Not sure if we will can expect another one any time soon, but I'm still sticking to wine just in case :)


On a completely different note, today is the last day of the Fabri-Quilt New Block blog hop.


Over the past 3 days, 47 bloggers have introduced to us 12" blocks they created using the fabric generously donated by Fabri-Quilt.   Tomorrow more blocks will be revealed.  Today's group is being lead by Terri Ann at Childlike Fascination.  Please take a moment to check out all of the great blocks and tutorials.  Oh and don't forget to check out the give away...wink...wink.

Thursday, September 3rd






Come join the party!  Today I am linking up with...



10 comments:

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

Wow, what amazing coincidences (?) to have so many grouped birthdays. And how amazing to get 4 baby quilts made and gifted in such a short period of time.

Jayne said...

What a story! I hear you on the wine and soda! Your quilts are adorable and you met your deadline too! i love the Jungle Path quilt a lot!

Sandra Walker said...

Ha ha. Wine it is for me too, lol. In my family, we have a TON of birthdays in April. Must have been some good times, er, contaminated water, lol, the previous summer! Love the girls' quilts, want to make that pattern sometime...

Lara B. said...

Tish you have the most delightful sense of humor ... "The water epidemic of 2013 - Hahahahah.
How fun for the cousins to be born in the same years! The baby quilts you made are really cute! Whew you could be stitching yourself into a corner if another epidemic occurs.
We used to live in a row of six townhouses and 5 of us all had babies within 2 months of each other. The 6th unit was inhabited by our 63 year old neighbor and we teased her all the time not to drink the water.

the zen quilter said...

Man your cousins are super lucky - you did a great job on all of those baby quilts! Love them all. And I love your water story, but boy, I wish I had known about the water - I had to work really really hard to make a baby - who knew all I had to do was drink your water?! ( But all's well that ends well, I had my "good egg" eighteen years ago, and now he's off at college! )

Heidi said...

Too funny, enjoyed your post a lot:-) It is really so cool to have cousins grow up so close in age, I'll bet they adore your Quilts!

Stitchin At Home said...

Thanks for the laughs. Lovely quilts.

Jenn @ A Quarter Inch from the Edge said...

Phew! That's a lot of babies... they are so lucky to have cousins so close in age. And birthday buddies too! Thanks for linking up with Throwback Thursday!

Anja @ Anja Quilts said...

I've made a Jungle Path in the past. It's a great pattern.

Glinda ♥ said...

Brilliant post! Not that I need any encouragement to drink wine but this is as good a reason as any! Beautiful quilts; I bet they were very much loved and appreciated :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...