Friday, October 23, 2015

Stitch Fix--#1

I mentioned in an earlier post that I gave a new service a try.  A service that I hope will change my attitude about the way I look and how I feel.  This service is called Stitch Fix (sounds like a quilters dream website, but it's not what you think).


So what is Stitch Fix?  The quick answer would be an online personal styling service for women, but lets break down how it works.  (And if you already know how it works, feel free to skip this part)

First, you sign up for an account and fill out your style profile.  It will include things like your measurements (honest measurements), body shape, price range and rating outfits based on color and style so that your stylist can get to know a bit more about you.  You can also link your profile to your Pinterest account so that your stylist can view outfits and jewelry that you like.  Then based on your profile you will be paired with a stylist who will then pick out five items to send to you.  You can even request specific items, like, "Hey, it's getting colder, I am in need of a new coat."  Or, "I do not wear jewelry, please send 0."  And your stylist will do their best to fulfill those needs.  

Next, you can schedule a "fix."  When scheduling your fixes, you are in complete control.  You can set them up to come on a regular frequency, like once a month, or only schedule them when you want one; absolutely no commitment.  When you receive your package, you have three days to try on your clothes (in the privacy of your own home) and decided what you would like to keep or send back.  If you want to send something back, all you have to do is place those items in the prepaid envelope and pop them back into the mail.  

Once you have decided, you log into your account and finish the check out process.  Everything that was included in your fix will be listed and you will check if you are keeping or sending the item back.  Then answer some questions about the product, like how it fit or did you think the price was too high.  You can even leave comments about why you kept it or sent it back.  This feed back is helpful to the stylist the next time they are putting together a fix for you.

Now lets talk a bit about the price.  When you schedule a fix, you are automatically charged a $20 styling fee (things to remember, they have to make a living too and they did the shopping for me so I didn't have to).  However, if you keep just one item from your fix, they credit the $20 back to you, so that all you pay is the price of the item.  So, if for some reason you hated your fix or nothing fit, and you send everything back, you would be out the styling fee.  But even by just keeping one item, they deduct the $20 off of the price giving the styling fee back to you.  If you LOVE, everything about your fix and decided to keep everything, they give not only the styling fee back but will give you a 25% discount also.  

I'll be honest, normally if someone told me they were participating in a program like this one, I would laugh my butt off (silently in my head of course).  Really, you paid someone to shop for you??  I guess I find myself having a change of heart after doing a mass purging of my closet this past spring.  I got rid of so many clothes that did not wear because:

    1) It did not fit correctly anymore
    2) Probably didn't fit to begin with
    3) Outdated
    4)  Thought it looked great on me, then changed my mind
    5)  This list could go on forever

So the moral of the story is, maybe I'm not that great at dressing myself.  After getting rid of so much stuff, I find myself in need of a few classic pieces that fit my body and my personality.  Stitch Fix might give me the opportunity to have someone who understands clothes and fit, send me items to try on in my environment and build my wardrobe with classic well-made pieces.  

For a point of reference, below are examples of what I would normally wear, I keep things pretty simple and for the most part stick to something easy.  



After I scheduled my first fix, I have to admit I was quite curious as to what my stylist might send me.  After about three weeks of waiting I could put any fears to rest.



Contained within the box along with my clothing was a note from my stylist Nat.

Unfortunately, life happens and I was not able to get pictures with the items I sent back.  But I can show them to you anyway because of the nifty little styling cards they send that show examples of how to dress them up and down.

Just Black Dean Skinny Jean


I have to admit when I read the words "skinny jean" in the title of these babies I had to laugh.  If I were to go to a store I would skip over these babies without giving them a thought.  What you can't see from the picture is at the ankles they sport the detail of a zipper, which I thought was a nice touch.  Speaking of touch I have never had a softer denim on in my life.  In length they fit like a charm, but unfortunately they were a too small in the waist and had to send them back.  I admit, I was sad.

Market & Spruce Colibri Plaid Printed Tab-Sleeve Shirt
This plaid shirt was probably my favorite item in the fix from the moment I saw the colors and felt the fabric.  Unfortunately, it was too small around the chest area and I could not keep it.  I did, leave a comment to my stylist that I would not cry if they sent it next time in the next size up.


Market & Spruce Denver Cable Knit Elbow Patch Cardigan
Style wise I loved this sweater from the buttons to the little brown patches sewn onto the elbows.  On me, the sweater was a flop.  Because it was longer and the knit was heavier, it made me look even shorter and quite boxy.   If it had been made of a lighter knit that was more form fitting it would have been a complete winner.  

So what about the two items I did keep?

Mavi Mauli Stitch Detail Knit Top
 I was in awe of this shirt the second I touched it.  For my quilter friends, it was like the difference between touching fabric that is $12.99 a yard and fabric that is $3.99 a yard.  I was beginning to question my past clothing choices, because everything they sent felt like pajamas.  And who doesn't like wearing pajamas??  The shirt is a great deep red/maroon color and has a curvy piping detail running across the front and back of it.  



The best part, it fit just right and looks good with a scarf. 



Loveappella Tif Contrast Sleeve Knit Top
I wasn't completely impressed with the gray on gray of this shirt, but it does look like something I would wear.  Actually, it pretty much screams me.  Plus it is something I can wear to work or just out shopping. 



 I hate to sound like a crazy person because I seem to be yelling, "Hey, touch my shirt."  (and I have made a few people touch the shirts...but not strangers)  These clothes are so soft that's exactly what I want to do.  I want everyone's clothes to be this soft becauseI think we would all be happier.  

So out of five items, I chose to keep two.  I consider this a pretty successful shopping trip.  Especially, since the only place I had to go was to the post office to drop of the pre-paid envelope.  Next time, I promise I will take the time to photograph what they sent and might even get brave enough to show me wearing more of it (I need baby steps).  

Interested in a fix of your own?  If you follow my link to Stitch Fix, you can read even more about it and set up your own style profile.  Plus, anyone you refer earns you $25 credit toward your next fix.



3 comments:

Sandra Walker said...

Tish this is just the coolest, most INGENIOUS idea for a business! I just read the entire premise out loud to my husband who was also very impressed. It's like you have your own personal shopper ;-) Well you DO! Kudos to you for putting that photo of you here, and yes, please put more of them on the blog next time. I just LOVE that colour on you, and the scarf is the perfect addition (I LOVE scarves). Linking your stylist to your Pinterest is genius too. I thought the 25% discount would be off the NEXT order but to read it is off your first is really a nice touch, as is getting your $20 back too. Wow, I will look into this for sure when we are in FL this winter.

Joy said...

I will be following to see what you receive next.

Brianna said...

Very interesting! Thanks for sharing, I have been wondering about Stitch Fix.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...