Tuesday, December 29, 2015

2016 Goals

Image from freepik.com
2015 is quickly winding down and 2016 is approaching.  All in all, I have to say 2015 was a wonderful year for me.  It lead to so many things, that I would have never dreamed of doing that it blows my mind.  It also brought new friendships that I treasure dearly.  I can only hope that 2016 is even better.

My husband loves to do reading on leadership and goal achievement.  He tells me and my daughter all the time, that one trait most successful people have is goal setting and making lists.  You are more likely to achieve your goal if you write it down and look at it often.  I'm usually not a list maker...more like a list misplace-er with good intentions.  2016 is the time for this to change.


When Yvonne at Quilting Jetgirl announced she would host a linky party for us to share with each other our hopes and goals for the new year, it just seemed like the right time to get started. 

I also wanted to take this time to declare my word for 2016.  (I've never done this before and it just feels right)  I have chosen the word "balance."  I'm always saying there are only so many hours in a day, how can I be expected to get everything done??  Work, house work, mother of a teenager, cooking, sleeping and of course quilting.   If I can find better balance by planning, I think I will see more success in my goals. So... 

This was a few years ago
1) First and foremost, improve my health.  Cliche right?  No, I've let it go for to long, half heatedly making an effort.  You might see me eating a salad at my desk but I can admit there is a stash of Reese's Cups and Snickers locked in my desk drawer.  My poor little FitBit hardly ever sees over 5 thousand steps a day.  Heart disease is a huge issue in my family and I would like to be around for a long time to make my daughter miserable (but in that motherly loving way) and see some grand babies (years away).  So my health goal is to get my high cholesterol back within normal ranges (no medication) and actually run a 5K all the way through (no walking).



2)  This small list taped to my desk has haunted me all year.  This was a list of all my un-quilted quilts as of the beginning of the year in 2015.  I did manage to cross two of them off.  However, I think I am still left with around 15 sad little/large UFO's.  My goal is to cross at least one of them off a quarter.  That would shrink it by four quilts next year, but that's two more than last year.  Plus, if I'm able to cross off more, I can give myself a bigger pat on the back.  Maybe have a big ol' piece of chocolate cake.  Oh, yeah goal #1.



3)  Write a full size quilt pattern and at least two smaller patterns.  This year I was able to write tutorials for three projects.  This time last year I would have laughed long and hard at you if you had told me I would do that.  It was just something I had never thought about.  But I have fell in love with the process and would like to see myself grow in this area.  Baby steps.  The ultimate goal will be to write a mystery quilt (have I mentioned how much I love those?) and host a quilt along.  But that seems like an end of the year/beginning of next year goal.

4) Self-evaluation.  (I'm not sure this is goal)  I'm giving myself the responsibility of checking in at the end of each quarter and evaluating my progress toward my goals.  But I am also granting myself the freedom to adjust or make amendments as I go and permission to forgive myself if I start falling short.


I think the next step for me, will be to set down in the next few days and start mapping out a plan of how to achieve these goals.  Those pesky little steps needed to get you where you are going.  That is where The Quilter's Planner by Stephanie at Late Night Quilter will come in.  Not only will I have a place to keep all of my drawing and ideas, but I can set scheduled times and days to start and complete tasks and log things like guild meetings and band concerts.

Well after checking my schedule I think I'm due for a nap in just a few minuets.  Here's to 2016 and all the productivity we will inspire in each other!!



P.S. Goal #5 Drink more wine ;)


Today I'm linking up with Let's Bee Social,  2016 Planning Party and Tuesday Archives.




21 comments:

Stitchin At Home said...

Oh chocolate cake and wine, now that sounds like a plan.

Marly said...

Good luck in meeting your goals for 2016. I like your motto for next year; it's a brilliant one for a list loser (that's me too). Have a good new year: Cheers!

Beth @ Cooking Up Quilts said...

Good luck Tish! I just know you'll achieve all you want in 2016!!

Lisa J. said...

O.K. Tish, I love goal number 5. I'll add that to my list. I also like the self evaluation and I think I'll be doing that as well. Looking after our health is such a difficult thing to do. Good luck training for the 5K.

Leanne Parsons said...

I love the idea of checking in each quarter and evaluating how you're doing with your goals! I'll have to adopt that for my own list of goals. Congratulations on writing tutorials for three projects, and good luck with creating new ones in 2016!

Anja @ Anja Quilts said...

Great goals. I agree with #1. My poor Fitbit. I'm hoping to make a pattern for the block I designed this year. Here's to an awesome 2016!

Joy said...

I follow quite a few blogs and I love your style of blogging. It feels like I'm sitting down with a friend over a cup of coffee, chatting.

Val's Quilting Studio said...

Oh Tish...your post made me smile. I'm looking forward to using our new planner too....as I too love the fact it's all inclusive...our quilty fun with real life. I'm aiming for a 5K in March....with NO WALKING too...so let's keep motivating each other! V:)

Val's Quilting Studio said...

PS Okay I just added you blog right on my sidebar under: Quilty Friends as this is where I follow others best:)

Terri Ann @ ChildlikeFascination.com said...

Balance is a great work to focus on moving into a new year. My Fitbit is lucky to see 5k steps per day too so you're not alone! I tried doing group things but everyone was always so far ahead of me by 2pm on the first day that I knew I'd never catch up. I can't wait to see wait 2016 brings for you!!

Brianna said...

I've been thinking about balance too. Slowing down the sewing and enjoying it; taking more time to play than to produce big finished pieces. I never understood minis and wall hangings before, but I think I get it now. For your sewing goals, designing/pattern writing is my favourite part! I've finished my Ocean Sky top and once I finish quilting Lone Wolf I can quilt it and finalize the pattern :) Hope you enjoyed your nap, funny, that's next on my list too ;)

p.s. It's been really nice getting to know you :)

Unknown said...

Balance is an awesome word! I have goals I need to maintain. One is organization everywhere. One is health. One is....well, not sure the word I can use without showing my cards...you know what it is.

Maker Joy said...

Great goals for 2016.

I'm sure since your husband reads all of those leadership books he's already told you but #4 is a great way to make sure you meet #1-3. Reflection and evaluation is a great way to keep your goals front and centre and to refine things if they're not working for you.

Kate said...

I like your word for 2015, it's a hard one to achieve but you don't get anywhere if you don't aspire. Good luck with all your goals this year.

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

Balance is such a wonderful word and life time goal. I hope that you can strike a better balance in your life in 2016. It will be great to watch you continue to grow and evolve, and thank you so much for linking up!

Adventurous Quilter said...

Yes Balance is the word in my head for 2016 too! I wasted 2015 being sick and miserable about being sick LOL so 2016 is a year of wellness and balance. Sew a little, exercise regularly, catch up with friends more, have quality time with my man and dogs, volunteer etc etc. It's a lot to juggle but I'm sure it can be done!

Cheryl said...

Great list! I look forward following you on your quilting adventures in 2016, Happy New Year!

Sandra Walker said...

I love your list. It is real. Do-able. I love the "chocolate cake reward, oh yeah goal #1" I laughed out loud!! Humour is always the best. So glad you are going to write some more patterns; you are so talented and your tutorials were well-written. Run 5 km?! You go girl! I'll watch and cheer ;-) I've never done a word for the year before...feeling a bit pushed in that direction though...um, wine?!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

These are great goals - manageable and realistic. The self-evaluation step is probably the most important, because that is what keeps you going. If you don't check in from time to time, then you can easily lose track of the goals.

Olono said...

Balance is good.

Tish Stemple said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...