Sunday, February 14, 2016

Gooseberry Secret Garden


For the past few years I have participated in Pat Sloan's Mystery BOM's (Globetrotting and Vacation Time).  As soon as the fabric requirements where released for this years block of the month, Secrete Garden, I headed to one of my favorite LQS's (Country Roads Quilt Shop) and chose my weapons of quilt creation (or is is weapons of bolt destruction?).

I was quite happy to see several bolts from Moda's Gooseberry line.  I had received several fat quarters from the line for Christmas and fell in love.  So like all fanatical quilters I began pulling bolts off the shelf, lining them up,  adding bolts, subtracting bolts, polling other shoppers in the store, until I found what I felt was just the right combination of fabrics for my quilt.  So let's look at what I walked away with.



Six of my fabrics came from Moda's Gooseberry by Lella Boutique line.


I can't help but be in love with those tiny little gooseberries and the pinwheels.  The baby blue piece second from the left has a Mother Goose feel to it, but works in the overall color scheme.


The next three prints are from Moda's Tucker Prairie by One Canoe for Two.  From left to right; Tiny Crosses Stormy, Tiny Crosses Winter Sage and Prairie Bubbles Stormy.


I had to do a bit of searching on these three pieces because I forgot to write them down.  Left is Moda Tucker Prairie Gingham Coral Bells by One Canoe for Two, Windham Fabric Oh Clementine (I'm 90% sure) and Windham Fabric Hazel Dotted Stripe by Cluck Cluk Cluk Sew.

For the background prints I have decided to pull from my stash and use my fat quarters of Zen Chics Moda Modern Backgrounds-Paper.  I also have two more fat quarter bundles unopened, so that should be plenty.


Overall, I'm pretty happy with how they are shaping up in the two blocks that have been release so far.




I always enjoy splurging for new fabrics when I start a new project, but I'm giving myself a big pat on the back for also remembering to pull from my fabric stash as well.  Now I guess I will sit around until the 1st of March when the next block is released....or maybe tackle the huge pile of projects that are pilling up.

Or I could head over to Craftsy and check out the sales going on right now during the Craftsy Sweetens Up My Quilting Life Blog Hop.  Over the past few days, Julie (Pink Doxies) and Sandra (mmm!quilts) have been hosting this amazing blog hop full of sales and a pretty sweet give away. (the sales and give away are good till February 21st)

Thursday Feb 11th
Cindy--Stitching At Home--Amy Johnson Quilting With Rulers on a Home Machine
Vicki--Vicki's Crafts--fabric purchases, deals

Friday Feb 12th
Zenia--A Quilted Passion--Elizabeth Dackson Start FMQ, Christina Cameli Secrets of FMQ, and Angela Walters Help! How Do I Quilt It?
Jayne--Twiggy and Opal--Supplies: Pressing/cutting mat and Mini iron

Saturday Feb 13th
Tish--Tish's Adventures in Wonderland (Me)--Angela Walters Dot-To-Dot Quilting, Caro Sheridan Shoot It!, and Jessica Marquez Product Photography At Home
Anja--Anja Quilts--Patterns; Postcard from Sweeden, 1 hr Basket, Star Bright, and Reusable Handwarmers

Sunday Feb 14th
Beth--Cooking Up Quilts--Amanda Murphy 20 Fresh Applique Techniques
Preeti--Sew Preeti Quilts--fabric purchase, Kaffe Fassett Classics Design Strips

Monday Feb 15th
Julie--Pink Doxies--Joan Wolfrom Color Play for Quilters
Sandra--Musings of a Menopausal Melon-mmm! quilts--Angela Walters Machine Quilting:Small Changes, Big Variety and Free Motion Quilting With Feathers, and review fabric purchases and patterns Sea Glass and Snowflake

If you get a chance, stop by and show all these lovely ladies some love and take advantage of the great deals and maybe win a give away.  What a great way to treat yourself.


Today I'm linking up at TGIFF, Can I Get A Whoop! Whoop!Midweek MakersLet's Bee SocialFabric TuesdayFree Motion By the RiverSew Cute Tuesday, and  Sunday Stash with the fantastic Molli Sparkles.

14 comments:

Anja @ Anja Quilts said...

Your blocks are great. I was going to play along, but then never got around to it...and found other things. LOL

Cheryl said...

Great looking blocks and new fabric additions.

Stitchin At Home said...

Stash shopping plus bolts, not bad.. great looking fabric and blocks.

Sandra Walker said...

Oh my I love your fabrics! I love both of your blocks too-the first has a Swoon feel to it. I so want to do this ... but I am feeling the pressure of this month that is half over and an OMG and mini mini due in two weeks, both of which I haven't started, gulp. I like your phrase, 'weapons of bolt destruction'!! Good 'un. You know me, love the double entendres. Love Zen Chic stuff. I have one of those fat quarters to use in my Swoon!

Jayne said...

This is fabulous! I'm loving the blocks so far. It's fun to buy fabric for a specific project and also a good idea to pull from your stash too!

Allison said...

Your fabrics choices are such sweet fabrics, and very well balanced... and you just can't go wrong with the ZC low volumes! It's hard to stay good in a fabric shop where you can actually see and feel all that fabric yumminess in your hand. Most of my fabric shopping is done online simply because of where I live, so I'm usually prone to some of those spontanous "what the heck" fabrics that make it into the pile. Good luck with your BOM quilt... you're off to a great start!

Kat Scribner said...

Just a lovely line of fabric you worked with. It just made those blocks sing!

Needled Mom said...

Those blocks are wonderful. It's always nice to have an excuse for more fabric. ;-)

Unknown said...

You made perfect choices in color. They feel playful and fresh. It's going to turn out GREAT!

PaulaB quilts said...

That is a great fabric group you've got. Love the blocks and I look forward to seeing more. They seem quite large. I'm doing the Modern HST Sampler in the Rainbow Scrap Challenge colors of the month. Alyce has very good tutorials.

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

Awesome selection of fabrics..so much to play with! Your blocks look great.

Bonnie said...

Great fabric selection. And, the statement that says you are a beginner quilter seems to be misinformed. I've seen the blocks you've been making and I KNOW you are moving on with your quilting experience! I particularly like the DC Botanical garden one. Nice job!

Anonymous said...

Love these blocks. The colors/fabrics you've chosen are so happy. :)

Lisa J. said...

Wonderful blocks and an interesting back story about fabric choices. I really like the prairie bubbles fabric and the Hazel dotted stripe and it's nice to see how they look in the blocks. Thanks for linking up to TGIFF.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...